Local amenities to the Wheelhouse Pub
The Wheelhouse pub is situated in the village of Naughton in Suffolk and is a lovely thatched village pub, exactly as picturesque and tranquil as most of us might imagine, offering both comfort and the finest real ales.
But following or prior to your visit to the Naughton Wheelhouse, what else can you visit in the local neighbourhood?
Situated in the village of Naughton, some 10 miles NW of Ipswich and 7 miles west of Stowmarket, the Wheelhouse stands close to St Mary’s church, which is a charming little 14th Century flint built church and is well worth a visit particularly, in my view, taking a look at the beautiful old font situated just in front of one of the smallest and most delicate stain glass windows I have had the pleasure of seeing.
Next to the church stands Naughton Hall, which is a lovely 17th century, moated residence.
If you want to make a real day of your visit then outlined below are just a few of the attractions situated within easy reach of the Wheelhouse:
- Wattisham Airfield Museum – a fascinating day out – extensive photographic records, displays, artefacts and memorabilia - www.wattishamairfieldmuseum.org
- The Barrandov Opera – Needham Market – Possibly Britain’s smallest opera house. Set in a barn on a 200 acre farm it has a regular programme of Opera evenings. www.barrandov.co.uk
- Baylham House Rare Breeds Farm – a range of livestock ideal for a family day out. www.baylham-house-farm.co.uk
- Blakenham Woodland Garden – lovely charitable trust-run woodland gardens. A combination of traditional English woodland, exotic trees, shrubs and flowers. Ever changing colours and scents throughout spring and summer. www.blakenhamwoodlandgarden.org.uk
- Martlesham Heath Control Tower Museum – fascinating aviation museumwww.mhas.org.uk
- Mid Suffolk Light Railway – Stowmarket – Suffolk’s only railway museum – You can even learn to drive a train! www.mslr.org.uk
- Museum of East Anglian Life – Stowmarket – plan a day out on this beautiful 75 acre site www.eastanglianlife.org.uk
There are many more attractions close by to the Wheelhouse but these are just a few to whet your appetite.
Why not grab some brochures, order a drink and sit in comfort in the historic Wheelhouse bar whist you plan which trip to do and when?
Got the dog with you? No problem, if your dog is well behaved then the welcome is equally open to your four footed companion – the Wheelhouse is a dog friendly village pub
The Wheelhouse – Naughton – just the start of a great day out